Friday, September 13, 2024

Reparative Fantasy

 




Echo and Narcissus. John William Waterhouse, 1903

Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool




Stuck in the past. Or caught in the future's web of illusions.


Sometimes erotic fantasy becomes a retreat from the reality of the here and now. I've seen this happen to others. I've seen it happen to myself.


But not always.


Every fantasy begins with a longing for something unfulfilled.


Somewhere behind the longing lies grief, for something that never was.


The longing is a desire to heal a wound. To close a gap in the self.


The snare comes with imagining, "If I could only have this, I'd be complete. I'd be healed."


Facing that the wound can't be undone, only transformed, would mean giving up all hope for a better past.


Or put differently:  admitting that the wound can't be undone is a step toward forgiving the past for being what it was. And more importantly, for what it still is, within us.


Can fantasy turn around to look more directly, with wisdom and compassion,  at the wound that's it's struggling to repair? Can my fantasy then help me recognize that the longed-for object it conjures is somehow already active within my own psyche? That along with the wound, there's grown a strength that I can carry forward in my life?


Can fantasy thus help repair the soul after all?


1 comment:

  1. I’ve been meditating on this exact same theme the last 2-3 days, then read this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete