Friday, August 17, 2018

Queer Utopias: Supple and Turbulent, Chapter Three


3


“My boyfriend-in-law,” I’d happily called Rajiv in those first heady months when we still thought we could make it work. On Saturday nights, we’d settle into a three-way snuggle with a bottle of wine and a movie. Then I’d kiss them goodnight as they left for Rajiv’s apartment and I went off in search of kindred spirits at the baths. It was bound to happen. The uncomplicated fun between them didn’t carry the baggage of what Jim and I hadn’t sorted through in ten years. I told Jim that I wished we could have found together what he was finding with Rajiv--but was glad he could find it with somebody. It seemed only fair. I was the one, after all, who’d opened Pandora’s Box.
 
I couldn't stop playing the "what if's" over in my head. I was the one who'd first wanted the freedom to explore, frustrated by how little seemed possible between Jim and me in bed. I was the one who took Pete's advice to go off for a week and learn erotic massage with forty guys on a mountain above the Napa wine country. There I discovered the long, slow sexual charge that took the top of my head off and left me euphoric and in love with the whole world for weeks. After that I saw no way of turning back. If I couldn't make that magic with Jim, then I had to find a way to make it on my own. I tried to take the quiet, stable domestic satisfactions of life with Jim for what they were. We made a perfect fit in the house and garden: moving around each other in the kitchen like pros; Jim happy to dig the flower beds I was happy to weed and water. But I'd find what I needed to feel fully alive somewhere else.

 What if I hadn’t gone up that California mountain road? I still found myself asking, even though I knew I’d awakened again from the neck down only by getting to the top of it.

 What if I hadn’t ended up by night in the arms of half a dozen of the guys I’d spent the day with, moving from one plateau of unashamed, open-hearted pleasure to the next?

 What if the sex I had with them hadn’t been so shatteringly gorgeous?

 What if I hadn’t told Jim I needed other men in my life? What if our first threesome, that seemed at the time like such a perfect initiation into a new stage of our life together, hadn’t turned out to be the beginning of the end?
 
What if I hadn't encouraged Jim to give New Age Slut Camp a try for himself, and he hadn't met Rajiv, on top of a massage table, glistening with oil and writhing in pleasure? What if Rajiv hadn't turned out to live a twenty-minute walk from us back at home?

 And who wouldn’t fall for Rajiv? I asked myself. Eyes like the ocean at midnight, biceps that rippled under skin like polished chestnuts, a stark ebony beard, a smile that lit up a room, and the laughing, playful streak of a guy with twenty years’ less mileage on him than any of the rest of us.

 Finally: what if all our lives hadn’t gotten bound up with the end of Pete’s? But that part of the story comes later.

“What if” was killing me slowly, leaching my confidence about everything that had seemed so right in my life for two years, shutting down the future as fast as fast as I tried to embrace it, despite regret and loss and a rising, corrosive tide of self-pity. But then, if joy and loss hadn’t turned out to be two sides of the same coin, I would never have found myself below a Tennessee woodland waterfall with these men. That was the price of the ticket, it had turned out, for each of us.

“Where did you go?” Billy asked me as we climbed out of the pool and gathered up the clothes we weren’t going to have much need of for the rest of the day.
 
"The usual," I said. He'd already heard the story too many times. Telling him again wasn't going to help me get free of it.

“I figured. Just give them a wide birth if you need to. It’s not fair to you or them if you can’t hack it. It’s not like there aren’t enough of us to distract all three of you from each other.” He reached for my nipple. I turned ticklish and giggling as he chased me back up the slope to the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment